Best Spaghetti alla Vodka
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1½ cups diced onion
- 1½ tsp. kosher salt divided
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- fresh chili to taste, chopped
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1 28 oz. can tomatoes paste ( or chopped tomatoes)
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 16 oz. dried pasta
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese plus additional for garnish
- Chopped fresh parsley or basil for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a deep pan over medium heat; add onion, 1½ teaspoon salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and chillies; cook, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes.
- Add vodka; cook, stirring to release browned bits from bottom of pan.
- Add tomato paste to pan. Bring to a simmer; reduce heat to medium low.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon sugar; simmer until flavorful about 15 minutes.
- Cook pasta in a pot of boiling salted water until package directions for al dente.
- Drain pasta in a colander and coat with good glug of olive oil.
- Remove tomato sauce from heat. Stir cream and ½ cup Parmesan cheese until combined.
- Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese and herbs.