Best Baked French Toast
1 (1 pound) loaf French bread, cut diagonally in 1 inch slices ( or any bread you have in your pantry)
2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup butter
1 1/3 cups brown sugar
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
1. Butter a 9×13 inch baking dish. Arrange the slices of bread in the bottom.
2. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, cream, vanilla and cinnamon. Pour over bread slices, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
3. The next morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
4. In a small saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar and corn syrup; heat until bubbling. Pour over bread and egg mixture.
5. Bake in preheated oven, uncovered, for 40 minutes until it emerges puffed and golden.
Serve with a big glug of maple syrup, fresh berries or stoned fruit and a dust of icing sugar.
Tell me what you eat and I tell you who you are.French Proverb