- 2-3 Large Onion Thinly sliced
- 3-4 Fresh Sliced Tomatoes
- 8 Slices or more good-quality bread White/Brown/Rye/Ciabatta
- Sliced or grated cheese ( mozzarella/ cheddar/ any combination of cheese and as little or much as you like)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mayonnaise or Chutney ( optional)
- Fresh Basil ( optional)
Makes 4 delicious braaibroodjies
- Generously butter both sides of each slice of bread. (This is the secret to a really great, golden braaibroodjie. Some people prefer to butter only one side but I think this is a travesty. My braaibroodjie deserves a golden glistening crumb to o set the black braai markings of the grid.)
- Then layer sandwiches with onion, tomatoes, cheese slices or grated cheese
- Add a thin spread of mayonnaise or chutney if using
- Add some freshly torn basil leaves, spices or whatever you desire to dress up your braaibroodjie
- Cover with the remaining slices of bread.
- Preheat grill pan or large skillet over medium heat. Cook sandwiches 3 minutes per side or until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Place the sandwiches on the grill or inside a barbeque basket, it really helps facilitate flipping the sandwich around if you are a novice, slowly grill until they are golden brown and cheese has melted, about 2 minutes or more per side, depending on grill. Be careful when grilling because they grill up fast You want your bread toasty and the cheese melted.