Grilled Steak with a Creamy Mushroom Sauce Gravy
125ml (1/2 Cup) Beef Stock
60ml (1/4 Cup) Dry Sherry ( fortified wine)
15ml (1T) Soya Sauce
15ml (1T) Tomato Paste
7ml (1 1/2t) Wholegrain Mustard
1 punnet of Mixed Mushrooms, sliced
Ground black pepper, to taste
125ml (1/2 Cup) Cream
60ml (1/4 Cup) Fresh Thyme, chopped
- Rub the steak with a mixture of crushed garlic, olive oil, grated lemon rind and juice of one lemon. Set aside
- Heat a lightly oiled skillet or pan (or barbecue) on high heat until just beginning to smoke. Cook steaks for 3 minutes each side or until cooked to your liking. Season with salt and pepper to your taste. Rest for 5 minutes.
- Mix mushrooms, stock, sherry, mustard, tomato,paste and soya sauce in a saucepan
- Simmer on low heat until slightly reduced and thickened.
- Add cream and a good ground of black pepper and simmer until gravy is your desired consistency.
Serve over grilled steak and garnish with freshly chopped thyme.
Delicious with crispy potato chips or garlic mashed potatoes.