Best Saucy Cheesy And Easy Lasagna
2 Pounds of Venison Ground Meat 2 Onions, chopped
2 Cloves of Garlic, chopped
1 Green Pepper, chopped
1 Red Chili, chopped
2T (30ml) Butter
2 Tins Chopped Tomatoes
1 Cup Dry Red Wine
2T (30ml) Chutney (or Sweet Chili sauce) Pinch of Sugar
Handful of fresh chopped Herbs
12 Sheets of Lasagna Sheets, oven ready.
2 Cups (500ml) Milk
4T (60ml) Butter
4T (60ml) Cornflour
Salt and Pepper
1T (15ml) Dry Mustard Powder
1 Cup (250ml) Grated Mozzarella Cheese 1/2 Cup (125ml) Grated Parmesan Cheese
- In a large large skillet, brown the onions in butter along with your garlic. Then add the peppers and chili (to your liking) and cook till softened.
- Add your meat to the mixture and cook for another 5 minutes. Break meat with a fork so that it resembles crumbs
- Once meat is almost fully cooked, season with salt and pepper.
- Add glass of red wine, chopped tomatoes, chutney and pinch of sugar (to break acidity of the tomatoes)
- Add chopped herbs and add half a cup of water if required
- Bring to slow boil and cook for 45 minutes on slow heat. Cook until most of fluid has evaporated (BUT mixture should not be dry)
Make the Bechamel sauce and assemble
- In a pot, bring milk to a boil
- In another pot, melt the butter. Add flour and make a roux
- Slowly pour in the hot milk. Be sure to whisk immediately so as not to form any clumps of flour.
- When mixture boils, remove from heat and add mustard, cheese and salt and pepper (to taste). Mix till smooth
- Grease the edges of an oven dish.
- Line the bottom with a layer of meat sauce
- Place sheets of lasagna on top to cover the meat. Do not overlap lasagna sheets. Repeat with layer of meat and then add a layer of the bechamel sauce. Repeat with layer of lasagna sheets, meat and bechamel sauce. I make at least 3 layers of lasagna sheets with meat and cheese sauce. Always end with your smooth, cheesy Bechamel sauce.
- Bake in oven at 350F for 30 minutes till golden brown
- Serve with fresh salad