We are in another week of lockdown on the ranch…. It has been a time of soul searching… digging deep to stay positive and keeping the faith… venturing into unknown territory of what is called the ‘new normal’.
A home still silent of excited hunters returning after a day in the field, the glow of the African sun on their cheeks and the thrill of the hunt in their eyes. We miss our hunting friends, sharing meals and memories around the dinner table in the heart of the Kalahari.
But it has also been a time of creating special home memories as a family. Laughing at our own silly jokes till our stomachs hurt, playing board games till late in the night, cooking and baking together in my Kalahari kitchen. A taste of home, for all of us.
Nothing smells home like the smell of baking.Pinterest
As I walked into the kitchen this morning, I was greeted by the smell of bacon and cheese. Lorene and Janneman were baking savory muffins. Minutes later we were sitting on the porch, drinking coffee and devouring these quick and easy to make, so more-ish, savory muffins. They are buttery with golden crusty tops and fluffy moist insides. What can be better on a windy Monday morning than a fresh-out-of-the-oven cheese and bacon muffin with my family. A true taste of home.
Bacon and Cheese Savory Muffins
6 slices bacon, thick sliced
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
These muffins are terrific as is, but you can also use it as a base with any add-ins: sun-dried tomatoes, olives, feta cheese, garlic, chorizo, fresh herbs.
A mini meal in the palm of your hand!
1. Cook bacon until crisp.Let cool and crumble.
2. Set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 190C/ 375F
4. Prepare muffin tin by spraying with vegetable oil spray.
5. Melt butter over medium heat in a small skillet.
6. Remove from heat and add chives.
7. Cool to room temperature.
8. In a medium bowl combine eggs and milk using a whisk.
9. Add butter/chive mixture, cheese and crumbled bacon.
10. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
11. Add to egg mixture, stirring only until blended thorougly. Do not over mix
12. Spoon mixture into prepared muffin cups, filling about 2/3 full.
13. Bake 20- 25 minutes, or until muffin tops just begin to brown.
14. Remove from oven and serve with butter.