During the last few months, we have all been forced to reset, rethink and refocus. It has been a time of regathering our thoughts, re-evaluating our lives and realigning our goals. As a family, we were blessed to spend our lockdown weeks on the ranch. With our three kids all home ( as universities and schools had to readjust to e-learning) we once again had special family times around our kitchen table… laughing, learning and loving life together as in years long passed.
This has been a time of creating new recipes and remaking family favorites. And yes, baking chocolate brownies EVERY weekend! My son, Janneman LOVES ( and that is an understatement) brownies. Cakey on the outside and fudgy in the middle, this easy brownie recipe really is the best!
So wrap around your apron and get ready for some chocolate therapy! The batter itself is to DIE for! Good luck NOT licking the spoon and bowl clean. Because chocolate is happiness that you can eat.
Decadent Chocolate Brownies
1 Cup 70% Dark Chocolate
1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter
5 Large Eggs
1 1/2 Cups Castor Sugar
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
1 1/2 Cups Cake Flour
2 Tablespoon Cacao
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Cup Walnuts/Pecan/Almond nuts ( chopped)
Toppings: nuts, chocolate chunks, coconut, marshmallows, caramel pieces… anything your heart desires ( about 1/2 cup)
1.Melt chocolate and butter over low heat- let cool slightly
2. Preheat oven to 180C/360F
3. Beat the eggs and sugar till light and then add vanilla essence
4. Sift the dry ingredients and add with the chocolate mixture and nuts to the egg mixture.
5. Gently fold all ingredients together- do not over mix
6. Pour into a greased baking dish ( 8 x 12 inch)
7. Add extra toppings on top if you like ( I always add more chocolate!)
8. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Do not overbake!
9. Leave to cool in the tray before cutting into the squares ( if you can wait that long)